NYS probe: Imposter claims diversionary tactics, MPs team says

The National Assembly’s Public Accounts Committee has dismissed claims that it could have interrogated an imposter in the ongoing probe into the theft of millions from the National Youth Service (NYS).

Reports have since emerged that the committee could have probed an imposter hired by a key suspect in the saga.

Already, the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) says it has opened investigations into the possibility that Mr John Kago, 58, who appeared before PAC last month could have swapped identity with the ‘real’ suspect.

“We are investigating the matter. So far, we have established that there are two Kagos sharing the same name. EACC deputy chief executive officer Michael Mubea said.

But PAC chairman Nicholas Gumbo has dismissed the claims as diversionary tactics meant to shift the committee’s focus from getting to the bottom of the theft of over Sh1.6 billion.

Gumbo insisted yesterday that the committee probed the real Kago and that they have all the details of the transactions he did with NYS loot.

“We interrogated the ‘real’ John Kago any other report suggesting otherwise is a diversionary which as a committee we will not allow to distract us from our main task of getting to know the truth behind the NYS saga,” Gumbo told X-News.

The Rarieda lawmaker said some people have started developing cold feet over the matter as his committee moves in the direction of those who actually ripped off millions of shillings from the taxpayer’s coffers.

“They know we are making headway over the matter and now want to divert the attention of the public with non-issues such as interrogating an imposter instead of the real John Kago,” he added.

The anti-corruption commission is digging into details to find out whether the person who appeared before PAC on October 26 claiming to have received a Sh60 million “soft loan” from a key suspect in the case, Josephine Kabura, could have been an imposter paid to shield main players in the scandal.

Mr Mubea said they expect to make progress in establishing the real identity of the two Kagos, one from Nyeri and another from Murang’a in two weeks’ time.

EACC believes the other Kago, a younger man who was a government employee before quitting his job could be the real face behind the NYS scam.

However, Gumbo yesterday maintained that they interrogated the right person whom they have all his personal details such as bank financial statements and the details of the company he owns.

“We interviewed the right person, don’t listen to other things…we are making good progress over this matter,” Gumbo maintained.

The NYS saga continues to elicit hot debate in the country with the committee having interviewed key suspects over the matter.

Early this month, Gumbo admitted having received high octane calls from powerful individuals to ‘go slow’ over the matter. The same has also been experienced by other committee members.

Last week, an aide to Deputy President Farouk Kibet and Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen were told to submit written submissions to the committee over their involvement with the saga having been mentioned by former Devolution CS Anne Waiguru.

Murkomen has so far denied that he benefited from the proceeds of NYS and told Waiguru to carry her own cross.

Previous Train commuters stranded as services are suspended
Next Auditor now says he can’t confirm how much was lost at Afya House

You might also like

Latest 0 Comments

Raphael Tuju appointed Jubilee Party Secretary General

Former Cabinet Minister Raphael Tuju has today been appointed the Jubilee Party Secretary General. Tuju’s appointment was confirmed at a meeting of the party’s national executive committee today with President

News 0 Comments

Uhuru downplays Sonko’s ‘acting President’ brag

  President Uhuru Kenyatta has today downplayed remarks made by Nairobi senator Mike Sonko to the effect that the latter was left in charge of the country last week. Sonko

Latest 0 Comments

IEBC cancels crucial election management tender

Electoral body nullifies tender after French firm quotes huge figure way above its budgetary provision The commission says it has lost valuable time in tendering process as it prepares for

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply