NYS theft probe twists and turns confuse MPs

The continuing twists and turns in the ongoing investigations into the loss of Sh1.8 billion at the National Youth Service (NYS) has now left MPs confused with the legislators not knowing who to believe.

Suspects Ben Gethi and former director general Nelson Githinji were questioned by the Public Accounts Committee this week as was suspended NYS deputy director Adan Harakhe and CID boss Ndegwa Muhoro.

All the four gave different stories with one accusing the other of telling lies to the committee.

The accusations and counter accusations have now left the lawmakers confused with PAC chairman Nicolas Gumbo admitting that they continue to receive contradicting information that have left them puzzled.

“This thing of NYS continue to develop new arms and legs every day. Each person comes up with new information,” Gumbo said.

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission chief executive Halakhe Waqo told the committee last week that the total amount lost in the saga is Sh1.8 billion and not the Sh791 known by the public.

His statement was later confirmed by Mr Muhoro when he appeared before the committee.

“What the public know is Sh791 but as investigators I can tell you the figure as at now stands at sh1.8 billion and it could be even more as we continue to get more information every day,” Waqo said.

Waqo too admitted that even EACC is puzzled by the NYS saga saying the issue continues to develop twists and turns every day.

“This issue Mr. Chairman continue to develop new tentacles every day, we receive new information and more people are still willing to come and provide information,” Waqo said.

The narrative that the password of Harakhe was hacked was also quashed this week as Director of Criminal Investigations Ndegwa Muhoro said the IFMIS system is tamper proof.

“IFMIS system is tamper proof and cannot be hacked by anyone and therefore the narrative told to this committee by one Harakhe is incorrect,” Muhoro told the committee when he appeared before it on Wednesday.

“The system is very safe and secure and can only be accessed if the owner of the password gives it out but it cannot be hacked,” he maintained.

Earlier, Harakhe told the committee that his password was hacked and unknown individuals approved payments amounting to millions to dubious suppliers.

“My password was hacked and payments authorised without my knowledge. I reported the matter to the DCI and then CS Anne Waiguru. I did not make any payments. Instead, I stopped the loss of millions of shillings,” Harakhe submitted.

Harakhe maintained his innocence in the whole saga and instead shifted the blame to former NYS Director General Nelson Githinji, former planning PS Peter Mangiti and controversial businessman Ben Gethi as the people that fleeced money out of NYS.

But when Githinji appeared before the committee yesterday, he dismissed the assertions made by Harakhe claiming the latter was appointed to NYS to specifically serve the interest of former CS Anne Waiguru. He termed the allegations as thoughtless and fictitious.

Githinji said Harakhe was reporting directly to Waiguru and not him despite being his deputy.

“Harakhe was to be under my supervision but he was reporting directly to Waiguru which to me was informal. I wrote three memos to express my reservations but they were not acted on,” he added.

The former Director General also told the committee that Harakhe had access to the IFMIS system even before his appointment and that his position of senior Deputy Director never existed.

“Harakhe had access to the system even before his formal appointment that never existed but was created specifically for him,” Githinji said.

Controversial businessman Ben Gethi said the real masterminds of people that stole Sh791 million belonging to the National Youth Service (NYS) are yet to be revealed to the country.

He is set appear again before the committee on Monday next week with concrete evidence about the NYS saga.

Gethi also poured cold water to the current ongoing cases in court where he and 21 other are have been accused of playing a major role in the loss of Sh791 million at NYS saying it will amount to nothing.

“The cases are just a waste of taxpayers money, nothing will come out of them. Everybody wants to implicate me about the loss of the money at NYS but nobody has evidence people are just talking,” Gethi said

Josephine Kabura who has also been linked to the saga is also set to appear before the committee the week after Gethi.

Muhoro told the committee that all the sh791 million loss at NYS was paid to companies belonging to Ms Kabura.

The string of information that continue to flow at the committee has left the members surprised with everyone always seeking an opportunity to get information on how people made millions of shillings within a short time.

In one of the interrogation sessions with Gethi, it emerged that the controversial businessman made a whooping Sh80 million within two days.

“What kind of business is this that generates Sh80 million in two days? asked Kieni MP Kanini Kega.

 

Previous MPs summon governors and parastatals as NCIC tighten noose on tribalism
Next Colombian President Wins Nobel Peace Prize

You might also like

Politics 0 Comments

Newspaper summaries – November 9, 2017

Daily Nation Eyes on Maraga as fresh presidential election disputed All eyes are on Chief Justice David Kenani Maraga again as he leads Supreme Court judges in deciding the validity

Latest 0 Comments

Business highlights – Uber drivers threaten to go on strike over new pricing model

  Uber drivers threaten to go on strike over new pricing model Uber has introduced a low-cost option for customers willing to use older cars The firm’s drivers have vowed

Business 0 Comments

Canon unveils magnificent pixma G series printer in Kenya

Small retailers, offices and schools are set to reap big from the Canon Pixma G series printers that recently hit shelves in the Kenyan market. “The demand for cost effective

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply