Newspapers Summaries

Daily Nation

Deported drug lord arrested in Nairobi: A notorious international Nigerian drug kingpin who has been arrested twice in Kenya and deported twice without facing charges, has been re-arrested in the country after quietly sneaking back. The arrest of Emmanuel Peter Enombehe will certainly embarrass the country’s immigration department and questions will be asked on how he sneaked back and why he previously was never charged. Mr Enombehe was first deported in 2013 alongside the controversial Nigerian drug dealer Anthony Chinedu, who ran the popular Deep West restaurant in Nairobi West together with his estranged Kenyan wife, Joyce Akinyi.

Blows,kicks as bid to oust Kidero foiled: An attempt to impeach Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero failed yesterday after Members of the County Assembly fought in the debate chamber. County speaker Alex Ole Magelo had signed the impeachment motion before Cord MCAs roughed up Viwandani Representative Smamuel Nyangwara soon after he read the first line of the motion. The scuffle prompted the sergeant-at-arms to whisk him out of the chambers. The MCAs accused Mr Nyangwara of betraying his coalition and urged him to defect to another party. Speaking outside the chambers, Mr Nyangwara accused the MCAs of assaulting him.

Sh1.8bn lost in NYS scam,lawmakers told: The amount lost in the National Youth Service scandal is now believed to be Sh1.8 billion, the anti-corruption watchdog has said. “The amount lost is much more than the Sh791 million that is known by the public. We have been taking up the matters as the number of suspects increases and investigations move to new areas,” Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) chief executive officer Halakhe Waqo told the National Assembly’s Public Accounts Committee yesterday. According to Mr Waqo, as of last week, the total amount believed to have been stolen from the NYS stood at Sh1.8 billion, in proceeds that have been frozen and seized, or in assets, either in the form of cash in bank accounts or purchased property being pursued. He told the MPs that the commission was investigating a total of 13 cases, adding that Sh471 million worth of assets had been seized in the past one year.

The Standard

CORD retreat put off after Wetang’ula, Kalonzo withdraw: Opposition leader Raila Odinga’s coalition partners won’t be taking part in a planned three-day National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting that was planned for Nairobi this weekend. The Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (CORD) affiliate parties that include Raila’s Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) were to hold a joint NEC retreat from Saturday to Monday. The meeting of top leaders from the parties was planned against the backdrop of recent differences over joint nominations and disagreements over the opposition’s presidential flag bearer in next year’s elections. However, the joint NEC meeting flopped after Kalonzo Musyoka’s Wiper and Moses Wetang’ula’s Ford Kenya Thursday confirmed they would not attend, citing “other engagements”.

Key election timeline missed as IEBC hints at date change again: Hopes that the country is well on its way to full electoral reforms dimmed furtherThursday as it emerged that some of the timelines set by the new electoral laws may be unrealistic. The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has raised the red flag on the practicability of some of the timelines set by the new electoral laws.Procurement of poll equipment at least eight months to the August 8, 2017 General Election as stipulated in the Electoral Laws (Amendment) Act, 2016, is among deadlines that are “unattainable”, according to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. According the electoral laws, the equipment must be procured at least 8 months before the elections. The polls are 10 months away.

DPP wants MP charged for presenting fake exam certificates to IEBC: The Director of Public Prosecutions has upheld the recommendation to charge an MP alleged to have submitted forged academic certificates during the 2013 General Elections. Kapsaret MP Oscar Sudi is cited in the latest Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission report for allegedly presenting a forged Diploma in Business Management and Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education certificate to the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. The DPP accepted the EACC recommendation to prosecute Mr Sudi. The MP is further accused of further making a false declaration under oath through a self-declaration form to the IEBC.

The Star

Only Cord will make TJRC report reality, ensure land rights – Raila: Cord leader Raila Odinga yesterday told President Uhuru Kenyatta to implement the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Commission report. Raila addressed a rally in Kilgoris town at the start of his two-day tour of Narok county. He said the Maasai community has suffered historical injustices dating back more than 100 years. This will be addressed once the report is implemented, Raila said. The former Prime Minister said the report was handed to Uhuru by chairman Bethuel Kiplagat in May 2013. It was to be tabled and discussed in Parliament, then implemented within six months. Nothing has been done. The report has not been officially released.

Omar opposed to Cord’s joint nomination plan: Joint nominations are tantamount to party dissolution, Wiper secretary general Hassan Omar said yesterday. Cord leader Raila Odinga and others in the coalition have been calling for joint nominations in major towns to ensure they clinch many elective positions. The major parties in Cord are Wiper, ODM and Ford Kenya. Omar said, “At Wiper, we are very clear that we will dissolve nothing. The only time we shall go into serious negotiations for a united party is after the 2017 elections.” He said Wiper’s National Executive Committee agreed that the only post where they will have a joint nomination is that of the presidential flagbearer. “Wiper shall fill candidates in all other remaining posts including, governor, senator, MP, woman representative and MCA,” Omar said.

Michael Joseph could join Kenya Airways: Former Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph could join Kenya Airways board following elections for new directors yesterday at the airline’s annual general meeting. Joseph, who has been credited with the success of revolutionary product M-Pesa, will replace Vincent Ragwe who did not seek re-election. Government seats on the board held by Treasury Principal Secretary Kamau Thugge and his Transport counterpart Irungu Nyakera are also up for replacement. Shareholders rapped the government for “threatening” the airline’s managers and using its muscle in the board to alter its composition. Results of the vote will be published on Wednesday.The voting process was, however, interrupted briefly by some shareholders who sought to know the whereabouts of Joseph.

Business Daily

British charity fights closure for sharing security information: International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO), a British agency, has launched a legal battle to keep its Kenyan operations on course after its licence was suspended over alleged passing of sensitive information to foreign governments. The NGO Co-ordination Board last year accused INSO of sharing sensitive national security information to the UK and Swiss governments as well as the European Union and withdrew its operating permit, setting the stage for the legal battle. Kenyan authorities did not initially reveal the reasons behind the British agency’s suspension, but that has now been made public through the suit papers.

Middle East airlines raid Kenya Airways for pilots: More than 60 pilots quit national carrier Kenya Airways for greener pastures in rival Middle East airlines in the past year, the company’s management said. An undisclosed number of engineers have also left for better jobs as the Kenyan carrier struggles to dig itself out of a loss-making pit. Kenya Airways – popularly known as KQ – had 523 pilots in March 2015 but that number dropped to 489 pilots in 2016, representing loss of about 30 pilots. Others have left in the current financial year. Mbuvi Ngunze, the Kenya Airways chief executive, said the number of pilots now stands at 460 and the number of engineers at 600.

EABL to apply for tax cut on Senator beer after law repeal: East African Breweries Limited (EABL) will have to apply to the Treasury for excise tax remission on its Senator beer following removal of the rebate through amendments in the Finance Act 2016. The tax cut, which stood at 90 per cent, was eliminated after Section 68 A of the Alcoholic Drinks Control (Amendment) Act 2015 which provided for it was repealed. A Treasury official told the Business Daily that the beer manufacturer now has to apply for the remission which can be granted under the Excise Duty Act 2015. He added that the Alcoholic and Excise laws both gave the Finance minister powers to offer the tax cut, with the former having operationalised the provision.

 

 

 

Previous News Headlines
Next Top stories from X News global partners

You might also like

Business 0 Comments

Morocco seeks to re-join AU, strengthen economic ties as state maintains bilateral relations with Kenya

  Morocco is seeking to strengthen economic relationships with other African Union (AU) member states 32 years later after it revoked its membership. The directive follow’s the Moroccan government’s re-affirmation

Business 0 Comments

Business News Highlights

Kenya to dethrone Nigeria and Egypt as Africa’s top ICT hub Kenya is eyeing a top position in terms of internet connectivity and usage in Africa with the country gearing

Latest 0 Comments

5 KDF soldiers killed in surprise attack by Al Shabaab

The Kenyan troops killed were part of the 7th battalion and the army’s engineering squad Last week, fifteen Al Shabaab militants were killed Kenyan soldiers raided their camp in Catamaa, about

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply