NYS theft: PS ordered me to go slow on graft

Suspended Deputy Director General at the National Youth Service Adan Harakhe yesterday narrated how former devolution Permanent Secretary Peter Mangiti and former NYS Director General Nelson Githinji frustrated him in the fight against graft at the National Youth Service.

Harakhe said the two warned him against making any statement that might cast the ministry in bad light and ordered him to go slow on corruption matters.

While appearing before the National Assembly’s Public Accounts Committee yesterday to answer questions over the ongoing NYS scandal probe, Harakhe said the two and IFMIS Director Jerome Ochieng and another official at the Treasury formulated a grand plan to steal Sh695 million belonging to NYS.

“Both Mang’iti and Githinji were against the coming in of CID to investigate the matter. They told me to go slow on the issue and allow them to exhaust the internal mechanism before calling the investigators,” Harakhe said.

“The two people were determined to steal money by all means including hacking my password and threatening to fix me if I didn’t cooperate according to their wish,” he added.

He maintained his innocence claiming that were it not for him, the Sh695 million would have been lost and even more.

“My password was hacked and when I realized I reported it to the CID,” he stated.

He said he made frantic moves between the ministry of Devolution and Treasury to cancel the transactions that had been made despite opposition from the PS and his boss.

Harakhe also told the MPs that companies associated with Githinji benefited from the NYS cash and were paid Sh133 million in a dubious transaction. One of the companies, Harakhe said, is owned by Githinji’s wife and another by his sister in law.

He told the committee that former Devolution CS Anne Waiguru was not aware of what was going on and it is him who alerted her.

On June 25, 2015, Harakhe told the committee that Mangiti called him to his office where he found a man who the former PS introduced as Ben.

“Mangiti introduced me to the young man who told me that he wants to teach me how to live in this city called Nairobi. He told me not to worry about anything as he has connections at the CID and that nothing will happen to me if I approve payment of Sh695 million to companies associated with him,” Harakhe stated.

“Ben also told me that he is the point man of Treasury CS Henry Rotich,” he added.

Harakhe said the following day Mangiti called him and told him that they should meet at Nakumatt Junction at 7pm. He obliged and on reaching the place he found the former PS and Ben Gethi.

“They told me to comply and approve the payment of Sh695 million to companies associated with Gethi or else they will fix me and I will be taken to court and charged for failing to pay suppliers,” he narrated.

Harakhe said he still refused to comply and instead went back to the investigators and briefed them of the development.

He narrated to the committee how Mangiti, IFMIS Director Jerome Ochieng and another official at the Treasury frustrated him in their efforts to steal the cash.

 He said at some point Mangiti and Ochieng would hold meeting in Mangiti’s office and they were speaking in their mother tongue, so that other people would not infer what they were talking about.

“In one of the meetings that I attended, Mangiti and Ochieng were speaking in mother tongue. I couldn’t get what they were saying,” Harakhe said.

The former NYS Director maintained that he knows nothing about the loss of Sh791million saying most of the payments were not made by him.

 

Previous Report: Jubilee still struggling with Corruption
Next Pedestrian hit as Rongai residents protest reckless driving

You might also like

Newspapers review June 6 2017

Daily Nation Uhuru takes Jubilee vote hunt to Kisii, Nyamira counties President Uhuru Kenyatta today returns to Kisii and Nyamira counties in a bid to woo voters from the region

News 0 Comments

News Headlines

Kidero seeks court help over Sh65 bn dues owed by state: Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has asked his lawyer to return to court and seek its help in forcing the

Entertainment 0 Comments

The Alchemist Bar opens up first Eco Gallery in style

The Alchemist Bar on Friday 9th September opened up a one of a kind Eco Gallery showcasing artwork created from recycled waste. What stands out from this showcase is that

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply