Youths issue ultimatum over ‘stolen funds’

 

 

The National Youth Council has given individuals who have looted money from coffers meant to benefit the young people a 14-day ultimatum to return the cash.

It has threatened to stage a nationwide protest upon the lapse of the deadline.

Council chairman Dishon Atemo has said the council will mobilize the youth countrywide to have those who looted from Kazi Kwa Vijana, Youth Enterprise Fund and the infamous National Youth Service apprehended and made to return the loot.

He said they will also move to court to seek legal action if no action is taken by the relevant investigative authorities with the 14-day ultimatum.

“It is heart-breaking to see some of the individuals who were caught red-handed are still roaming free and even issuing conditions on how they can return monies allegedly stolen from the youth of Kenya. We are giving them two weeks to return the monies,” Atemo warned during a press briefing at his Chester House office.

Atemo specifically called on political analyst Mutahi Ngunyi to refund Sh12 million that was allegedly deposited in his account from NYS.

Ngunyi’s firm is said to have illegaly received Sh12.5 million from NYS for payment claimed to have been made at the time of the loss of Sh790 million from the department.

The political consultant has agreed to return Sh11.8 million which he admits was erroneously received from NYS last year.

According to Ngunyi, an audit of books at “The Consulting House” found that the firm received the amount on 23rd of April 2015 without raising an invoice.

The council further said that some individuals have grabbed land belong to NYS and asked the land commission to investigate and repossess the parcels to the youth for their projects.

“The Council is engaging the lands commission to secure the said pieces of land and at the same time putting the grabbers on notice,” added the chair.

Atemo also lamented ‘constant’ sidelining of youth in key decision organs, citing the select committee on IEBC reforms saying the body did not propose youth representation in the panel to nominate new IEBC Commissioners

“The council will soon carry out an audit and youth representation in boards both nationally and at county governments,” he said.

He added: “Youth constitutes majority of Kenyan voters and must be given proper representation in reforming the electoral body and its processes.”

He said corrupt cartels in the National and county governments have frustrated and denied the youth 30 per cent tenders as ordered by the president

Previous Kenya goes for second gold at Rio today
Next Lyric Lab

You might also like

Latest 0 Comments

Sports highlights – August 23 2017 – Barcelona to sue Neymar for Ksh1 billion over alleged contract breach

Barcelona to sue Neymar for Ksh1 billion over alleged contract breach Barcelona are set to sue former player Neymar for £7.8 million (Ksh1 billion) over an alleged breach of contract

Latest 0 Comments

Joho picks university don as his running mate

Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho has picked Dr William Kingi as his choice for running mate in the August election. Dr Kingi, a Senior Lecturer at the Technical University of

News 0 Comments

Commission opposes Lenaola’s nomination as Supreme Court judge

The National Gender and Equality Commission wants the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) to rescind its decision on the appointment of Isaac Lenaola as a Supreme Court judge saying it contravened

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply