News Headlines

Mutahi Ngunyi to return excess money from NYS: Controversial political analyst Mutahi Ngunyi has said he is ready to pay back at least Sh11 million paid in excess to his firm from the National Youth Service within 15 days. While admitting that NYS may have paid his firm, Consulting House, the excess monies Mutahi claimed he is not sure if the money was drawn from the NYS or from other clients. He now wants Public Service Cabinet Secretary Sicily Kariuki to confirm the payments. “There is a payment totalling Ksh11, 875,000 which we did not invoice any of our clients for. Since none of our clients has claimed these funds, kindly confirm that this is the said overpayment raised by the Auditor General’s report,” reads part of a letter dated July 29 and addressed to CS Kariuki. Mutahi says his company is ready to refund the money immediately and asks the CS how to go about it. “Supply us with the modalities of returning the funds. Furnish us with details of the recipient as per the government standard operating procedures,” he asked. Auditor General Dr Edward Ouko had in June raised the red flag, and placed the figure at Sh12.5 million.

Governor charged over Raila insult, out on Sh 500, 000 bond: Kiambu Governor William Kabogo was on Friday charged with ethnic contempt and insulting Cord leader Raila Odinga. Mr Kabogo allegedly uttered words which were intended to incite feelings of contempt against certain communities in Kenya who do not embrace male circumcision in November last year. He denied the charge when he appeared before Principal Magistrate Martha Mutuku. The governor was freed on bond of Sh500, 000 with an alternative cash bail of Sh200, 000. Kabogo is accused of making the hateful utterances when he spoke at Thika Stadium during a musician’s memorial. “We should not waste time with boys or what do you say? I have often told you that the thing is not good because it is not something that you can detach, it retards a person’s backward mentality. Are you with me,” Kabogo allegedly said. In the charge sheet, Kabogo said he was ready for court action as he has the money. The orders were issued two weeks ago upon an application by assistant DPP Leonard Maingi, who asked the court to summon Kabogo to appear in court and take a plea on the charges.

Requirements for police recruits to be reviewed: The requirements for joining the National Police Service is set to be reviewed in a months’ time, chairman of the National Police Service Commission Johnson Kavuludi has said. Appearing before the Senate Security Committee yesterday to answer questions over this year’s police recruitment, Kavudludi said the commission will together with other stakeholders draft a new set of requirements of those willing to join the police service. Kavuludi was faced with a barrage of questions from senators who termed the current requirements such as height, dental formulae among others as archaic and colonial. Senate Minority Leader Moses Wetang’ula said the current requirements have denied majority of Kenyans an opportunity to serve their country. “Someone can be short but has an excellent brain that can help the police in investigations at the CID, such a Kenyan should not be denied an opportunity to serve this country as a police officer,” Wetangula said. Wetangula said many Kenyans willing to serve the country have been locked out due to the unnecessary and colonial set of requirements currently put in place by the National Police Service Commission.

Lobby wants EACC disbanded, say it has failed in war against graft: Civil societies groups have called for the disbandment of the Ethics and Anti- Corruption Commission (EACC) saying it has failed in its mandate. The groups under the National Civil Society Congress (NCSC) also wants EACC chairman Philip Kinisu to immediately step aside to pave way for proper and credible investigations against his family firm said to have received millions in payment from the National Youth Service (NYS). While addressing a press conference in Nairobi yesterday, NCSC president Morris Odhiambo, said Kinisu’s refusal to step aside depicts a picture of an agency that lacks leadership and integrity. “We petition Parliament to institute mechanisms of disbanding this commission because it has continuously failed Kenyans,” said Mr Odhiambo. “It is no longer feasible for Kenyans to buy the pretense that the anti-graft body is capable of carrying out any credible graft investigations involving individuals and institutions,” he added. He claimed the anti-graft body is under the control of powerful individuals in government whom he said are frustrating investigations on scandals.

Survey: Set up forums for students to air their grievances: A survey done among the public shows that most people want the government to establish forums where students are able to air their grievances as part of measures to quell unrest in schools. The findings are based on data collected last month by non- governmental organizations focusing on children Twaweza and Sauti za Wananchi, according to John Mugo, a director in one of the organisations. “We want the voice of the children to be heard so that we can hear their side as to why they are doing this; they must have something to say,” he said. In a survey targeting 1,783 respondents, 34 percent supported the forums, while 24 percent said they prefer guidance and counseling as a way to end the wave of fires affecting more than 100 schools across the country. A further 19 percent want corporal punishment re-introduced in schools to help instill discipline amongst students. 17 percent preferred teachers and parents to deliberate on the way forward and Mugo responded to this stating the parents should take their time to talk to their children educating them that they are the ones to suffer in the long run.

Travelers stranded as protesters block Mombasa Rd: People travelling to and from Mombasa were stranded overnight near Salama after sand transporters blocked the highway to protest against alleged harassment by Makueni County Government officials. Some motorists and passengers called our newsroom saying they had been on the road since midnight Thursday with no movement due to the traffic jam stretching several kilometres. “I am headed to Eldoret from Mombasa and I have been on the same spot since 1am, it is terrible,” one motorist said. Area police boss Jecintah Kinyua said they had reached out to the County Government of Makueni to help resolve the standoff after the protesters demanded to be addressed by Governor Kivutha Kibwana. “We are doing everything we can to resolve the situation,” she said.

 

 

Previous I will repay NYS monies in two weeks, Mutahi says
Next Newspapers Summaries

You might also like

Latest 0 Comments

Business News Highlights

Nairobi to host global ICT symposium as world leaders move to boost sustainable development Nairobi is set to host yet another Global Capacity Building Symposium (CBS-2016) as the government, in

Entertainment 0 Comments

BEACHLIFE NY 17 Presented by 6AM with CIROC: The Highlights

6 am Entertainment in conjunction with Cîroc partnered to create the ultimate New Year’s party at Alliance Safari Beach in Diani. The headlining act was world renowned Swedish progressive house

Entertainment 0 Comments

Miss Universe Honduras dethroned

Another title holder had her crown removed from her head, days before our very own Roshannara Ebrahim was stripped off her title as the Miss World Kenya. We sail away

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply