Stepanova challenges IOC ruling on doping ban

Doping whistleblower Yuliya Stepanova has questioned the “unfair” decision by the International Olympic Committee to ban her from the Rio Olympics.

The 800m runner’s testimony helped shed light on the scale of doping in Russian sport, and she was to compete under a neutral flag in Rio next month.

But the IOC ruled that she should not be allowed to take part as she had previously failed a doping test.

Stepanova said the IOC decision was “based on wrong and untrue statements”.

In a statement, the 30-year-old claimed the IOC decision would put off future whistleblowers from coming forward and that it contradicted previous decisions by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

A covering letter to IOC director general Christophe de Kepper called for the organisation “to review their decision on the basis of the information provided

The IOC on Sunday decided against enforcing a blanket ban from Rio 2016 for all Russian sportspeople. Anti-doping bodies had called for tough action following the release last week of the McLaren report, which detailed widespread, state-sponsored doping in the country.

Instead, the IOC said it would be up to individual sports federations to decide which athletes were eligible for Rio – but that anyone who had been sanctioned for doping should not be able to go.

It also said Stepanova should not be allowed to compete, despite her having earlier won the support of athletics’ governing body, the IAAF.

Stepanova and husband Vitaly, a former Russian Anti-Doping Agency official, played a key role in the chain of events that led to the IOC having to rule on Russian sport’s place at the Rio Games.

Previous Jose Mourinho to determine Wayne Rooney's England role
Next Hull to Play in Kenya as Part of Sportpesa Deal

You might also like

News headlines June 15 2017

Ballot papers row ropes in Kenyatta family The war surrounding the awarding of a tender for the printing of ballot papers to a Dubai based firm, Al Ghurair Print and

Sports 0 Comments

Sports Headlines

Sevens coach defends Injera omission Kenya sevens coach Innocent ‘Namcos’ Simiyu has been forced to defend his decision to leave out Collins Injera out of the opening HSBC World Sevens

Business 0 Comments

Afternoon business highlights – November 17, 2017

  Judiciary buildings set for Ksh 7 billion upgrade Kenya’s Judiciary buildings are set for a Ksh 7 billion upgrade thanks to a World Bank-funded programme in upgrading infrastructure of 50 court


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply