Eight officers killed in Kapenguria siege

Eight police officers were killed in the nine-hour siege at the Kapenguria Police Station on Thursday, including a General Service Unit commando who was in the rescue team sent from Nairobi.

The rest were the station commander, four police officers and their rogue colleague who stormed the station at 5.30am and started shooting indiscriminately until 2.30pm when the hold-up was brought to an end.

Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet had earlier sent out a statement saying it was a terror suspect in custody who grabbed a gun from a police officer and started shooting.

But details emerging from Kapenguria later painted a different picture of the situation at the end of the siege.

“It is an off-duty policeman who walked into the station and took the gun from a colleague whom he shot dead alongside others, before taking over the station,” one senior police officer briefed on the situation said. Police earlier said a terror suspect had been killed ending the siege but later clarified that the dead man thought to be the terrorist was still in the cells at the station. They had mistook the body of the officer who grabbed the gun to be that of the terror suspect.

Police Spokesman George Kinoti later issued a statement saying “the gunman who had a turban that covered his entire face leading to the previous suspicions, sadly killed six officers within the station building.” He said all the inmates in the cells were safe.

Police believe the rogue officer who grabbed a gun from his colleague intended to rescue a terror suspect who was in custody for investigations over radicalisation of children.

The siege was ended when officers from an elite squad of the GSU were flown there.

 

Previous Kiambu’s Kabogo to face charges over circumcision remarks
Next Self-sponsored varsity students to be vetted

You might also like

Business 0 Comments

Private sector encouraged to engage with national and county governments to address flower sector challenges

Kenya’s private has been encouraged to engage more with both the National and County Governments to help in creating innovative solutions while addressing challenges facing the flower subsector. Speaking recently

News 0 Comments

Waiguru interfered with investigations, NYS suspect tells MPs

Former Devolution Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru ‘interfered’ with investigations into the loss of Sh791 million belonging to the National Youth Service, a suspect in the case has said. Businessman Ben

Politics 0 Comments

News headlines

News highlights Bungoma, Embu and Kisumu MCAs linked to stolen County funds Auditor General Edward Ouko has indicted Members of County Assemblies (MCA) for illegally earning millions of shillings from County

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply